A New Quilt!

This past Sunday was my littlest daughter Karis’ second birthday. For her birthday I made her a quilt for her big girl bed, as I have done for my other two girls. When I made the first of the three quilts I bought extra of several of the fabrics I used so that I could incorporate matching fabrics into each of their quilt designs so that no matter who shared a room, they would each have a unique handmade quilt that coordinated well with the other.

I am really happy with how Karis’ quilt turned out and I thought I would share some pictures of the process. The first step after choosing a pattern, was to cut out all of the pieces for the quilt – this is pretty time consuming! The next step is to piece all of those little pieces together to form the quilt top.

sewing squares

Here is a shot of me piecing together one of the small squares which make up the center of the quilt.

quilt squares

And here are all of the completed squares that make up the center.

quilt layout

The next step was to layout the squares on the floor until I found a pattern that I was happy with. You then sew each row together, and attach the rows.

I added the outer borders and patterns until the quilt top was complete. My husband’s Oma had agreed to hand quilt this quilt for me, which I am SO thankful for! Having Oma’s hand stitched designs on the quilt makes it that much more special.

Oma with the quilt

Here is Oma with the quilt ready for me to put the binding on – notice all of the flower details she added!

Finished quilt

Here is the finished product on Karis’ bed! My mom also took some extra squares that I had and made a hand quilted pillow sham to match – isn’t it lovely? (She also made some matching pillow cases – thanks Mom!) I love that three generations of family members  contributed to this project.

Matching quilts

And finally, here is a shot of Zoey and Karis’ matching quilts on their bunk beds. I should add that my husband has only ever used handmade quilts made by his Oma (pictured above) and has never used a purchased blanket on his bed! Oma made us a beautiful quilt for our bed when we got married, and crib quilts for our babies, and I have decided to carry on this tradition of handmade quilts on the beds in our house. It’s such a special thing to sleep with a quilt that has been handmade by someone who loves you isn’t it?

Original Artwork

Since redoing Sophia’s bedroom, her bare walls have been in need of some art. We like to be original, and we’re also pretty thrifty. My initial idea for some art over the dresser was to use scraps of fabric in needlepoint hoops with stencils of butterflies, birds and flowers painted on and put together in an arrangement. This all changed when I made a trip to Michael’s last week and fell in love with some scrapbooking paper and found some pretty accessories to make some homemade art using existing frames that I had around the house that weren’t in use. I spent a total of $14 for this art project and I am so happy with how it turned out!

artwork

The finished product

Here is a picture of the finished grouping of art which I hung above Sophia’s dresser. I made them all with the supplies I picked up, except for the painting of flowers on the top right which is a painting that we bought years ago on our honeymoon in Gravenhurst, which was painted by a local artist. The butterflies are my personal favorite!

To hang pictures in a grouping, it is always a good idea to do a layout first. What I did was trace the frames onto tissue paper and cut them out. I then stuck them onto the wall with clear tape into a grouping that I was happy with, and then one by one hung the pictures, taking that piece of tissue paper down as I hung the picture. This gives you a reference point to go from, which means you won’t have lots of holes hiding behind your pictures… And don’t forget to use a level!

layout
We have an old house that has plaster and lathe, so we have to pre-drill absolutely every hole, even just a finishing nail, beforehand or the plaster will crumble all around the nail. For this project I used screws since they will probably be sturdier in the long run anyway.

 

art above dresser

I would love to hear about thrifty original artwork that you have made!