My Living Room Makeover.

We moved into our century old home 5 1/2 years ago, two and a half weeks before I birthed our second daughter in our new house. That was a busy couple of weeks! Our house was very clean when we moved in, but it needed a LOT of updating and I wanted our living room and dining room to be painted right away. In hindsight, I should have just lived with it for a while so that I got a feel for the room. The carpet was in good shape, and we weren’t prepared to put down new flooring if what was underneath was terrible so we opted to keep it in. We painted one wall a deep red, and the rest a neutral tan. Once the painting was done, the living room was clean and nice to be in, but it didn’t ever really feel like our living room. With the brown trim, the beige carpet, beige walls, and beige couch, I began to feel like I was in a sea of beige – I needed some color!!! I also realized that with the porch in front, although the room has lots of windows it doesn’t actually get a lot of natural light coming in. So after 5 1/2 years I finally got a clear vision for what I wanted the living room to look like, and this summer I worked away at it and wanted to share the finished product with you!

Here are the before shots of the very formal looking living room:

living room before









living room before left









living room before right









I knew right away that I wanted to change up the heavy curtains for a light roman blind, and that I wanted to paint out the trim white – this made such a huge difference! I also decided to paint the walls a creamy ivory. The room feels so much bigger AND I said goodbye to all that beige. I can’t forget the floor – I finally pulled up that carpet and the original wood floor is in fairly good shape.

Here are the after pictures:

living room after








It’s SO much brighter!

living room barnboard mirror











Our brother in law made us this amazing barnboard mirror.

living room pictures








We featured our own colorful art on the walls – this really personalized the space.

living room coffee table








I refinished the coffee table that we received as a wedding gift in a beautiful bright green and distressed it – this really added a punch of color to the space!

We love the finished product! It’s bright and fun, and it feels so comfortable to be in. I feel like it is a reflection of our creative personalities, and I finally feel like it’s my own living room that I’m sitting in. And that’s our living room makeover.

Original Artwork

Since redoing Sophia’s bedroom, her bare walls have been in need of some art. We like to be original, and we’re also pretty thrifty. My initial idea for some art over the dresser was to use scraps of fabric in needlepoint hoops with stencils of butterflies, birds and flowers painted on and put together in an arrangement. This all changed when I made a trip to Michael’s last week and fell in love with some scrapbooking paper and found some pretty accessories to make some homemade art using existing frames that I had around the house that weren’t in use. I spent a total of $14 for this art project and I am so happy with how it turned out!


The finished product

Here is a picture of the finished grouping of art which I hung above Sophia’s dresser. I made them all with the supplies I picked up, except for the painting of flowers on the top right which is a painting that we bought years ago on our honeymoon in Gravenhurst, which was painted by a local artist. The butterflies are my personal favorite!

To hang pictures in a grouping, it is always a good idea to do a layout first. What I did was trace the frames onto tissue paper and cut them out. I then stuck them onto the wall with clear tape into a grouping that I was happy with, and then one by one hung the pictures, taking that piece of tissue paper down as I hung the picture. This gives you a reference point to go from, which means you won’t have lots of holes hiding behind your pictures… And don’t forget to use a level!

We have an old house that has plaster and lathe, so we have to pre-drill absolutely every hole, even just a finishing nail, beforehand or the plaster will crumble all around the nail. For this project I used screws since they will probably be sturdier in the long run anyway.


art above dresser

I would love to hear about thrifty original artwork that you have made!